Monday, September 21, 2009

Contour drawing with Shell and Figure




I was nervous to start life drawing, so when we had to draw from a live model the first day I had to put my nervousness away and be prepared to be open to the experience and learn as much as I could. Jumping right into drawing the first day was a nice feeling and a familiar one. I enjoyed Drawing 1, 2, and 3 so I had a sense that I would enjoy life drawing and after the first week I am enjoying myself. The nudity factor didn't scare me, after taking art history you have a new appreciation for the human body.

Not being able to shade will be a struggle for me, I am the Queen of shading and value in my drawings. Also the not outlines will be a challenge as well. With the quick gestures I tried to use the knowledge I gained in high school and apply it in this class. I was taught to draw the spine of the body then section off the head and waste. When I saw other classmates work and that it didn't look anything like mine I had a fear that I was not drawing it the correct way. After Josh explained to us the spine and bones to draw I felt more confident.

Drawing the shell was harder than I imagined it to be. I erased quite a bit on this drawing. Finding the starting point was a challenge with the rounder shell, but I believe I found it. Then I started filling in the contour lines around it and finally putting the outline to pull it all together. I felt myself just wanting to shade it and make it look more photo realistic. Next week I think I will be even more comfortable and lose my urge to shade the drawings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment