Monday, February 1, 2010

Preface and Chapters 1-3

In the preface, Haynes states how the book is structured in 3 major parts: forming a mind, disciplining the body, and cultivating spirit. Each chapter also starts with short reflections and I enjoy how that is structured. The first section speaks about intellectual information of the artist. The second is about the nuances of the word discipline. Finally the third, explains the inner and psychological and spiritual life. Having the chapters structured in a specific way and written in a specific way helps me to understand the reading more clearly, since I usually have to read something more than once to fully comprehend it. I also enjoy that Haynes focuses on more than once audience, she focuses on young/aspiring artists, older adults facing existential transitions, and active professional artists.

In chapter 2, I found the part about writing down why you wanted to become an artist very helpful and I did the activity. Some of the things I wrote were seeing my mom always painting crafts or signs or just designs on clothes that she made for me and my siblings. I would just draw and paint everyday I possibly could. Whether it be a picture I drew or in a coloring book. When I wasn't drawing I found be outside picking flowers and making bouquets for my mom. This definitely shows me that since I was young some form of art was on my mind and I would never want to stop pursuing my art career and hopefully after I graduate and I can become the florist I have always wanted to be. I disagree with her leaving schools and pursuing a new one. I have been taught to finish what I have started. At one point I was very frustrated with Stout and wanted to transfer to LAX, but in my heart I knew I should stick it out and it would work out in the end. Not surprising that is what has happened since then. I am very happy I continued my education at Stout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment