Monday, March 8, 2010

Recipe Card


Domestic/Text/Gouache

Those were my words for this assignment. My mind immediately went towards cooking and domestic chores around the house. This lead to my mom and grandma's household duties such as cooking. Tradition is a huge part of my family, but not when it comes to the kitchen. Even though my grandma and mom are related their cooking is not. Each has their own spin on the recipe and gives pointers to me. My cooking hasn't reached a level where I can put my own twist on the dish. I created my recipe card for this assignment. At this point it is blank, because of my lack of cooking skill. If I decided to push this assignment farther for the gallery showing at the end of the semester, I would display a used recipe card from my grandma and mom and then myself. Leaving mine blank.

The critique was quiet at first, but then a few students began commenting. They were intrigued by the tradition aspect of the piece and would like to see it pushed farther. The idea of the same fruit on each recipe card and as the card changes to the next generation the fruit becomes riper. Not having fruit on the recipe card would also function for the piece and they would enjoy it more if it was real recipe cards and not on paper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment