Monday, May 3, 2010

Emulation Project


ARTIST STATEMENT

Copyright 2007 by Rebecca Crowell
http://www.rebeccacrowell.com


The sources of my ideas are varied and interwoven, with the colors and textures of nature playing a large role. Memories, impressions and personal symbols all figure in as well, as do elements of pure abstraction. There is interplay in my work between appreciation of the natural world and the desire to organize and manipulate the environment.

I use a variety of techniques for making marks and laying down areas of color, including some I learned many years ago in printmaking. I build up many layers of paint, and also scrape, gouge, and dissolve parts of the layers so that underlying
bits emerge. The result is a surface that is complex in texture and nuances of color. Thus there is a correlation between the organic look and feel of my work with the process of making it.

Each painting is an open-ended exploration, undertaken with a blend of spontaneity and careful analysis. It is my hope that in the end, my work has a certain clarity and integrity that invotes contemplation.

For my emulation project I chose Rebecca Crowell and her Column series. Above is her artist statement so the class can understand more of her concepts behind the work she creates. I wanted to continue the idea of landscape and the layers of the earth. I wanted to use her complex textures in the piece and work with layering as she does. Her work influences my layering process with my drawings and my paintings. I enjoy the way she simplifies the shapes and focuses more on the texture and layers of the piece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment